7.02.2011

So Long Insecurity


Yesterday was very relaxing. I love Fridays! I slept in, cleaned, went to the pool, and then curled up in a blanket, enjoyed a good cup of coffee, and read. I am reading So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore. It is my second time to read it. It's just that good!

Yesterday, I mentioned that we are training for the St. Jude marathon. I've never ran a full marathon, just a half. After I ran my last half, I hated running. Absolutely hated it. I put too much pressure on myself. As silly as it sounds, I got race anxiety. I remember I almost threw up when the race began because I was nervous. I thought I would be a failure if I didn't finish the race in the amount of time I wanted to. Who is a failure after running a half marathon? No one. After that, I said that's it. No more for me. And I didn't run for about a year. I guess I needed a break from running. I love it now!!

I want to finish my marathon in under a certain time, but I am not going to consider myself a failure if I don't. I will be happy to cross the finish line! I have a long journey ahead of me. There will be times when I get discouraged and will want to quit. Thankfully Jonathan will be right there with me. He is always so encouraging.

Satan likes to convince me that I am a failure. Whether that's at running, being a friend, a wife, teacher, etc. Sometimes I ask myself "who should you really look to for hope and confidence?" Not myself. Not Jonathan. Not my friends and family. But God.

As I was reading So Long Insecurity, Beth had me read Jeremiah 17:5-8

"Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord. He will be like a bush in the wastelands; he will not see prosperity when it comes. He will dwell in the parched places of the desert, in a salt land where no one lives. But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

Then I looked at the next page and this is what I saw:


I started thinking, "which am I? A bush or a tree?" Sometimes I put so much pressure on myself to look a certain way, have a certain personality, run a race in a certain time, have a nice home, etc. But, like God's word says, those who put hope in themselves will be like a dried up bush that produces no fruit. I must put my confidence in the Lord. He is my rock.

That is my prayer today, that I would wake up every morning and know that God is my hope and confidence. To not put unnecessary pressure on myself or Jonathan to feel secure. God is my security.

No comments: