7.05.2012

Today I Choose Joy

Many of you have probably seen these photos on Pinterest lately: 
I even had this one posted on my blog...found here:
It wasn't until recently that I fully understood what it meant to "choose joy." I would like to think of myself as a happy person. I usually try to find happiness in the small things, but I realized that I don't often choose joy. I get stressed and angry real easy...over small things. I sometimes look for  happiness in material things or try to find security in other people. Of course those things will let me down at some point. I'm also really bad at holding grudges, which is awful. God showed me so much while we were in China. He taught me that I can't find happiness in material possessions or in others and I cannot hold grudges. I knew these things, but it wasn't until recently that I fully understood it and felt it. 

We moved into our new house a week before we left for China. Before China, I was so consumed with what my house looked like or what we needed to buy. I was consumed with needing everyones approval. God showed me that you can be happy without all of those things. For example, these people are so happy and they don't have money or nice things:

I've been reading Ecclesiastes the past two weeks and it is one of the best books I've read!! The first heading in Ecclesiastes says "Everything is Meaningless." All of the little things I worry about it life are meaningless! Money, homes, drama everything is meaningless! I love 8:15 "So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." The side note in my bible says "Everyone has a choice to live in anger and despair over all the inequities of life or choose joy."

Today, I choose joy!!

And I hope you will too...



No comments: