2.10.2011

A Life Worthy of the Gospel of Christ

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." Phil. 1:27

This morning I was reading Philippians, and learned so many new things. I have read this book of the Bible so many times, but I guess God really spoke to me this morning! God's word tells me that "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." This personally says to me, "Brooke, no matter what happens, good or bad, always conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." This is a huge challenge! I am fearful of failure. But I know with the strength of God, I can do this.

I have the Women of Faith study Bible and it says:

"Following Christ means accepting a new set of standards that is far beyond our reach. We could never hope to reach the pinnacle of God's calling without His power and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We are called to conduct ourselves in a manner that is worthy of the gospel of Christ."

Paul's prayer in Philippians 1:9-11 shows us what this would look like in the life of a follower of Christ.
- A heart full of love
- A mind filled with God's knowledge and deep insight
- A discerning spirit that leads to purity and blamelessness
- A life overflowing with the fruit of righteousness

Philippians 2:5 also says, "Your attitude should be the same as of Christ Jesus." I fail at this every day. This verse is so short and simple, yet has so much meaning. This is a verse I have planted in my heart. God made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant. He humbled himself and became obedient to death. I ask myself, is this is the attitude I am supposed to have? There is no way I can do this! But I can. We can gain none of these things on our own. "Only as we pray passionately and seek the power that ONLY God can offer, as he fills us with himself, will we inherit these attributes through Jesus Christ."

"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I might gain Christ." Philippians 3:8 This is another powerful verse! Am I willing to give up everything if that is the price of knowing Jesus like Paul did? I must remember that all things on earth are temporary, my life on earth is temporary. James 4:14 tells me that "You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." I am here for one purpose and one purpose only, and that is to bring glory to God!

With that being said. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:14

{So happy for this handy dandy chalkboard! Now I am reminded every day of this important verse!}

No comments: