2.07.2011

Snow Days

Hey guys! I must admit I am tired of the snow, and there is more to come! But I did get a four day weekend, which is nice! I do miss my Kindergarteners though! I am student teaching this semester at Guy-Perkins Elementary, and I loooove it! I love going to "work" everyday! I am so thankful to have such an amazing mentor teacher who loves God and loves teaching, it doesn't get much better than that. I have already learned so much from the three weeks I have been there. The kids are amazing too! I instantly fell in love with them! They say the funniest things. It is so hard not to laugh! I can already tell I am going to love teaching and I am looking forward to having my own classroom next year. Hmm, wish I could teach first grade at Guy next year, that way I can teach these kids again! There is nothing better than listening to a child learn how to read. It is amazing when they figure out how to put sounds together and form words! They get so excited and then want to read to you all the time! I also love it when they make me things; their artwork instantly goes on my refrigerator! I can already tell it's going to be covered by the end of the semester!

I have gotten a lot done over my long weekend! The house is clean, laundry done, dishes cleaned, homework finished, and I finished some of the projects I have been wanting to do for a long time now. Last weekend, I went to my parents house. Our new thing to do when I go up there is to go to flea markets. They have some awesome flea markets! I love to look at old books and try to find stuff for my future classroom. I bought The Great Gatsby, which was one of my favorite books I read in high school! I also went to a used book store to look for children's books. Jackpot! The books were anywhere from 25 cents to a $1. So I made a huge stack of books and my total was going to be around $14. Well, when I got to the cash register, the lady asked if I was a teacher or in school to be a teacher. I said yes, that I was trying to build my classroom library. She then informed me that they give teachers and students in school to be a teacher a 50% discount! So, I got all of those books for $7!!!! I will definitely go back!

As you saw from my last post, I had been wanting to find an old window to hang in my house along with a wreath. Well I found one! Here are some pictures below of my new window!



I left my camera at school, not knowing I wouldn't be back for a while, so these are taken with my phone. Pretty bad pics! Anyways, I love the white window, but it doesn't look so great on our beautiful white walls! Did you hear the sarcasm? I thought about painting the window, but I figured we won't be in our little rent house much longer and when we buy a house, I will not have white walls. So, I will have to live with white on white for a little while longer.

My next project was to make a chalkboard out of an old picture frame. I have had the frame for several months but I just didn't quite know what to do with it. I had been wanting a chalkboard for our kitchen, so I made one! I wish I had taken a before picture, but I forgot. The frame was brown, so I spray painted it red to match our kitchen. I then bought chalkboard spray paint from Hobby Lobby and painted the glass and now you have a chalkboard! (Again sorry for the horrible picture, but you get the point!)


I am now going to enjoy the rest of my snow day!!

No comments: