9.13.2010

Glorious Conquerors

Sometimes as a Christian I think I should have it together all the time. If I go through a difficult time I feel as if I am doing something wrong and there is a reason why I am "suffering." What I must remember is, that I am going to go through ups and downs. Everyone will. The problem is, when I get down it is real hard for me to get back up. I start comparing myself with other Christian women. I look at them and think wow they have it all together, but really they don't. No one does.

This morning, I was reading in Romans 8, one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. It is such an encouraging chapter and a reminder of God's love for me. There are days when all I want to do is complain. I get frustrated when I get behind a slow driver or behind a slow person in Wal-Mart who stops in the middle of the isle, I complain about working out then complain about feeling fat, I complain about not finding a teaching job, I complain about Jonathan not putting his clothes up or closing drawers, I just complain about stupid little things all the time. I know that every Monday morning when I get on Facebook so many statuses will be a complaint about another Monday morning. Why do we complain so much? When I really think about it, I haven't suffered at all.

Jonathan has an aunt and uncle who are suffering from brain cancer and heart disease, a friend of mine from high school just had a brother who was killed in a motorcycle accident and her dad passed away not long ago of cancer, I know a missionary in China who gave up everything she had to move to China by herself and share God's love, two of our friends are leaving for Thailand next year to spend the rest of their lives spreading God's love. These are people who have room to complain. But you know what, I have never once heard them complain about their situation. There are definitely people in this world who are suffering. Katherine Arnold Wolf has a blog that I read daily. Please read her blog, she is very encouraging. Romans 8:18 says "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." We are glorious conquerors not because our lives are free from suffering but because we triumph in spite of our suffering.

I want to change the negativity in my life. I am not negative all the time, but I do catch myself wishing I had more or thinking that God does not hear my prayers. I have so much to be thankful for. God has blessed me with so much! I must remember that God is constantly working to accomplish his purpose for me. God does not bless us so that we can have things, but so that we can bless others. I am a glorious conqueror. "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)

Right now I feel extremely happy. Things are going good in my life and I feel that I have no reason to complain. I think it is very important that I am reminded daily of God's love so that in times of suffering I will remember that God is with me even when I feel like he isn't.

I want to set a small goal for myself. I will start with today and work on it every day. Anytime I have a negative thought, I want to replace it with a positive one. Instead of thinking I don't want to workout, I will think working out will make me strong and healthy! Instead of thinking I don't want to go to work today, I will think I am excited about making a difference in a child's life. When I look in the mirror I won't see my legs as fat, but that these legs helped me run 3 miles today. I think this will be a good goal for me.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present or the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8: 38-39)




No comments: